Andy Houghton wrote:
Don't confuse ALA filing rules with NACO normalization rules.
If you are trying to compare two author names you should use
the NACO normalization rules [1].  If you are trying to sort
the headings into order then use the filing rules [2].

We're trying to get a shelf list, and when the call number is "F LAM", we can't just sort by call number -- and when the authors' names may be given as "Lambert, John", "La Marche, Susan", and "Lamarque, Erich Maria", we can't just sort them ASCIIbetically either.

So I guess it's the filing rules I'm really after.

Ben