>How do you typically do the install? MARC::Record is included at the
>ActiveState PPM Repository, so it should do these things on a Windows
>platform...assuming nmake or some sort of make variant is being used.

At home (on the Mac), I just drop the MARC folder in my site_lib folder in
the MacPerl folder (MacPerl adds site_perl to @INC automatically, I
believe). This is after I expand the tar.gz files with Stuffit Expander.
There used to be an installer.pl for Mac, but it no longer works with the
current version of MacPerl (5.8.0a). Since the documentation in MacPerl
seems to indicate that it is not compatible with MakeMaker?, drag-drop
installation seems to be the easiest alternative. To convert line endings, I
use either BBEdit Lite, a 3rd party program, or a script I just wrote that
should convert line endings and change the Type and Creator (to TEXT and
BBEdit).

In Windows, I take the folder from home, convert the line endings from Mac
to DOS, and then drop the MARC folder in C:\Perl\site\lib\.

This (dragging and dropping) seems to work fine for most stand-alone modules
(where a C compiler is not needed). In some cases, I do look at the
Makefile.PL, for example with MARC::Charset where it was necessary to create
a database file of EastAsian character sets. Of course, once I got that
installed (through drag-dropping), it gave a number of errors (when I ran
the tests), probably because of my operating system (MacOS 9.2.2) not
working well with Unicode?

I do generally try running each of the test files when I first install a new
module, just to make sure they work ok, but I've not usually bothered to
look at how the tests or the Makefile.PL work. This is one reason I haven't
tried to distribute my modules through CPAN.

----
Bryan Baldus
http://home.inwave.com/eija/
(http://home.inwave.com/eija/readme.htm)