I apologize if this is not the correct list to ask this question. I'm at a
loss, however, to know where to ask.

I have a character problem that I hope someone can help me with. In a MARC
record I am modifying using MARC::Record, one of the names contains letters
with diacritics. Looking at the name with a hex editor, it gives, with hex
values in curly brackets,"Bis{e5}a{f2}t{e5}i, Mu{f2}hammad." After running
through MARC::Record, the name now appears as "Bis{ef bf bd}a{ef bf bd}t{ef bf
bd}i, Mu{ef bf bd}hammad."

Does this have anything to do with Perl? Or is it more properly the way Linux
(I'm using RedHat) is set up on my machine?

Any help would be appreciated.

John C. Hammer, MMus, MLIS
Automation Librarian
Library and Media Services
San Antonio College
1001 Howard St.
San Antonio, TX  78212
(210)733-2669 (v)          (210)733-2597 (f)
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]