On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:11:22AM -0600, Doran, Michael D ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> Although serving a similar purpose, I make a distinction between
> listservs and news groups.  The main distinction being that I assume the
> audience for the listserv is the people who explicitly subscribe to the
> listserv, whereas the audience for Google Groups are basically the whole
> world.  This distinction affects my posting behavior.

I would suggest that the distinction you draw between the two is
imaginary.  I expect that anything that I send to anything that is
not a single person may potentially get mirrored somewhere that Google
(or any search engine) will find.

> The fact that perl4lib postings also go to Google Groups should at least
> be mentioned in the "WELCOME to perl4lib@perl.org" automated

It sure couldn't hurt.

Also, LISTSERV is a trademark.  The generic term is "mailing list."

http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/legal.asp

--
Andy Lester => [EMAIL PROTECTED] => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance