Ron Davies wrote:

Has anybody ever seen a MARC record where the order of the field data wasn't the same as that of the entries in the directory? I'm not questioning the logic of reading a record using the field lengths and offsets, just wondering if anybody had ever seen this occur in the wild. I never have.

I have although I can't recall where it came from. (It was some years ago) The problem was exacerbated because the program reading it assumed the directory and field sequence matched and was not flagging any errors. It was sometime later that users spotted some records were "odd" and it took a while to trace it back to this cause.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Software Development Consultant