On 1/31/06, Joshua Ferraro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Great ... thanks Bryan. MARC::Record2.0RC1 fixed my probs.
>
> In case anyone's wondering why I asked, I just finished
> version 0.01 of Open-ILS's [1] new Z39.50 Server. A bug
> in MARC::Record 1.x was holding me back.
>
> The server's based on Index Data's excellent
> Net::Z3950::SimpleServer [2]. It also uses MARC::Record to
> convert MARCXML (which is how Open-ILS stores bib records)
> to MARC21.
>
> The problem I was having with MARC::Record 1.x happened because
> some of the MARC records in GPLS's data were encoded with
> utf-8 outside the ascii range (at least I _think_ that was
> the problem) and MARC::Record wasn't calculating the directory
> offsets properly (again, I _think_).

That was exactly the problem.  We've been working on (and hopefully
are close to having Ed Summers bless, distribute, and then hand off
the maintenance for) a new version of MARC::File::XML that uses Ed's
shiny new MARC::Charset to convert from MARC-8 encoded binary MARC21
to UTF-8 encoded MARCXML.  The problem arises when you try to go from
XML back to MARC21 ... the currently distributed MARC::Record doesn't
understand how to count bytes instead of characters (combining or
otherwise) in UTF-8 encoded records (or MARC-8 encoded records with
byte sequences that look like they could be UTF-8, for that matter).
Thus, the leader and directory get messed up with incorrect offsets.

While there is a fix for that in cvs, it's not yet released on CPAN.
Here's to hoping the maintainers release a new version soon... ;)

--
Mike Rylander
[EMAIL PROTECTED]