Hello All,

Some days ago a friend asked me if I knew a good way of sorting UDC codes. Looking for information, the only thing I could find was:

--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<

The sort order for UDC is actually very complex since it uses such a variety of punctuation symbols each of which has a position in the sort order - and sometimes more than one! Very few database packages have a special UDC sort order - one being Inmagic / DBTextworks.

One way round this is to replace the punction symbol with a letter (including one for the plain number with no following punctuation). Freeman and Atherton in the 1960s used capital letters A to P:

X+Y XAY
X/Y XBY
X XC
X:Y XDY
X[Y] XEY
X=Y XEY
X"Y" XGY
X(Y) XHY
X(=Y) XJY
XABC XKABC
X.00Y XLY
X-Y XMY
X.0Y XNY
X'Y XPY

So if you have a UDC number like 62/64 you write it as 62B64 and you write 72"1950" as 72G1950. The numbers should then sort correctly.

The site is : http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_May_2005/thid_73e1ff3302d36eb3b6de2f6afdea25bf.html

I'm not a librarian, and I do not understand all this rules (like XABC -> XKABC) Anybody knows where (or if) I can find more information, or even examples abou the meaning of these rules?

    Thanks in advance,

    []'s

    Oberdan