On May 18, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Joshua Ferraro wrote:
Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on this I'd be grateful.

I believe the data loss you are seeing is due to your source records-- not to do with character translation. Just running marcdump on them generates a ton of errors (see below). I don't have the time to investigate what the errors are with your MARC records found "in the wild"...but if you have the time to look at the errors, and have suggestions on how to improve MARC::Record's handling of them please send your suggestions here.

 Recs  Errs Filename
  192    67 sample.mrc

//Ed