On Fri, July 14, 2006 2:17 pm, Edward Summers wrote:
> This is all fine, but lets talk in unit tests for MARC::Record if we
> can. They will make plain what the actual behavior is ...

I was commenting here about my concern raised by the findings of Paul
Poulain.  I had no test of my own showing any problem.  Paul may not have
a formal test himself.

In due course, I will report my own very different field ordering problems
with tests which may have some relation to anomalies relating to the use
of letters as part of field codes.  "There is only so much time in the
day", and I want to think carefully about the exact behaviour or function
that I would prefer to my present workarounds before posting.  I also want
to experiment with new functionality for accessing subfields first.

In the original form I had seen Paul report a problem, the problem had
seemed to be from the use of punctuation symbols for subfield codes.  He
described the issue as one of invalid subfield codes in his post on the
perl4lib list.  They may well have been invalid codes in his case for the
records that he had.  I wanted to be certain that it was understood that
the use of characters outside the character range specified in a standards
document is not necessarily an invalid use.  The standards simply do not
specify all that systems use and find necessary.  I had no report or tests
to offer for this particular problem myself.  I hoped a hoped to caution
against designing a presumption that some characters were invalid if Paul
had correctly identified such a problem.

I have no problem to report about this issue but I will report about the
problem which I do have and I may find a relation for the ordering of
codes.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D