> > I can also see that this record is broken because the XML entity
> > ' is in a MARC communications format file.
>
> The character entity ' *is valid* in a MARC-XML file.
> It is one of the few standard character entities allowed in
> an XML file, e.g., &, <, >, and '.

A recent MARC Proposal recommends the use of Numeric Character References as an
alternative for unmappable characters when converting from Unicode to MARC-8 in
MARC21 records [1].  The "'" entity is not a *numeric* character
reference, but I'm just mentioning this as an FYI in case you start seeing the
numeric character entities in MARC communications format files.

-- Michael

[1] MARC PROPOSAL NO. 2006-09
    http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2006/2006-09.html
"SUMMARY: This paper specifies a lossless technique utilizing Numeric Character
References for converting unmappable characters when going from Unicode to
MARC-8 for systems that cannot handle Unicode encoding. It is intended to be an
alternative to the lossy technique approved in 2006-04. The MARC advisory
committee recommended that both a lossy and a lossless technique be officially
adopted."

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office