Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Smith,Devon <smit...@oclc.org> wrote:
> I think it's a mistake to get hung up on the leader being "next to" the
> fields or the indicators being "next to" the subfields. The leader and
> indicators aren't really different than fields and subfields. They were
> given special treatment in ISO 2709 due to the limitations of ISO 2709.
> If we're moving forward, we shouldn't pull those anachronistic
> distinctions forward with us.

Well, code that is working with MARC qua MARC does have to deal with
the distinctions, so even though I agree with your point about the
leader being effectively just another fixed field and the indicators
being effectively just subfields, I prefer having the bit of
syntactical sugar that MARC-in-JSON provides.  That said, my main
preference is that we not unnecessarily multiply the number of JSON
representations of MARC in actual use.

Regards,

Galen
--