Personally, I wouldn't recommend automatic translations, since they're very
prone to errors.

However, as a French/English speaker, I'd suggest Reverso (
http://localize.reverso.net/Default.aspx?lang=en). I haven't used their
API, but it's an excellent service. Its translation engine is the best I've
seen.

What sort of fields are you translating?