On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 07:57:43AM +0100, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
> Could somebody explain into which unfortunate trap Marc has fallen?

I think it's *probably* the thing about dialup addresses; as a spam-prevention
measure, (I reserve judgment on this) perl5-porters uses the DUL list of
dialup hosts to block mail. This is ostensibly because it's easier to send
spam from a dial-up address than through an ISP's SMTP host. The fix is to set
your local MUA to be a smarthost forwarding mail to your ISP.

> obviously help, feedback, bugreports or patches by me are
> not _wanted_ :(

It's not obvious to me!

> Perl_utf8_to_bytes appends a zero byte to the end of the destination
> area.  This is neither documented nor expected by it's callers (and causes
> utf8_downgrade to overwrite memory).

Oops. I think I just expected that everybody likes null-terminated strings.
Meine Störung, danke.

Simon
--
"In the face of entropy and nothingness, you kind of have to pretend it's not
there if you want to keep writing good code."  -- Karl Lehenbauer