> >> It might be better to patch makefile.mk to "quote" $(MAKE),
> >> what does the -S do (I just treat dmake like Unix make and hope
> >> for the best.)

> Still does not answer what -S does - should we keep it and pass
> to sub-make ?

readme.txt for dmake reads:
       -S     Force  sequential execution of recipes on architec-
              tures which support concurrent makes.  For backward
              compatibility  with  old  makefiles that have nasty
              side-effect prerequisite dependencies.

I'm not able to understand this explanation, and it's easier for me to live
without it.

> >BTW why GNU make is not used? because of GPL?
>
> There wasn't a VC++/Mingw32 port of GNU make when we started,
> and cygwin was unstable.

Ok, I understand this now.
It seems to me that dmake have more limitations as compared to "make", isn't
it time to migrate to it now?

Best wishes,
<!ENTITY Vadim REALLIFE "Vadim V.Konovalov, St.Petersburg, Russia">
&Vadim;