On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 03:56:49PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:35:10AM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>
> > Yep, its definately something about ./Configure -des.  It works ok if
> > I run Configure manually and just take the defaults.  The *only*
> > change I made was to switch from -O to -g.  And that seems to be it.
> >
> > If I run ./Configure -des and then hand edit the makefile to use
> > OPTIMIZE=-g it all works.
>
> If you change optimze up front to -g then Configure helpfully adds
> -DDEBUGGING for you. I assuming that in hand editing the makefile you're
> only changing -O to -g, and not adding -DDEBUGGING.

I've done it both inside Configure and outside.

> Hence, is it -DDEBUGGING that's doing the breakage?
> [Or did I get my assumptions wrong?]

These work:

    -g
    -g -DDEBUGGING

These don't:

    -O
    -O -DDEBUGGING

> > Could also be because its Alpha and not x86.
>
> Now you tell us :-)

There's other problems with this machine, like domainname doesn't
return a fqdn.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One