On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:43:06PM -0000, Steve Peters via RT wrote:
> > $ perldoc -f x
> > No documentation for perl function `x' found
> > $ perldoc -f =
> > No documentation for perl function `=' found
> >
> > Sure, the latter pair are a whole different class of operators perhaps
> > etc. etc.  However, to mediocre me, they are just more perl "things",
> > and I hope that for any perl thing, perldoc -f should cough up some
> > tip about where to read more.
> >

> $ perldoc -h
> perldoc [options] PageName|ModuleName|ProgramName...
> perldoc [options] -f BuiltinFunction
> perldoc [options] -q FAQRegex
>
> As you mentioned, x and = are operators, not functions, and therefore
> not returned by perldoc -f.  This is not a bug.

Perlbug is not just for bugs.

Perhaps -f should be extended to operators.  Drawing a line between
operators and functions at -f is not particularly useful to the user.

>From a practical standpoint, because of the way perlop is layed out it
is difficult to automatically extract per-operator documentation.
It would need to be proken up more like perlfunc with each operator an
=item.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
You're more radiant than a memory of breathtaking ecstasy.