On 6/13/05, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:42:01AM +0200, Tels wrote:
> > Semi-stupid question. How do I get different patch-levels from blead? I
> > know how to get the latest, but have no idea how  to checkout a certain
> > patch number, or even how to find out which one I would need.
>
> I'm going to mumble something now about how it would be nice if folks
> could get read-access to the repository without having to ask for an
> account.  Sorta like every other Open Source project in the universe.
>
> perlhack states "you cannot use the Perforce client..." but doesn't say why.
> Its not a limitation of the Perforce Open Source license by my read.  [1]
>
>   4D. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, it is the intent
>       of the parties that an unlimited number of Read-Only Users be licensed
>       to use the Program.
>
> Why don't we supply anonymous, read-only repository access and do away with
> the absurdity of splicing things together from patch files?
>

> [1]  http://www.perforce.com/perforce/contracts/open_source.pdf

I for one have wanted this access for a while but never said anything
because I figured it would have been on offer if it had been
available.

Being able to review change logs on various files would make certain
types of efforts much easier. For instance it would have been very
useful when i was working on the regex trie patch, and would be very
useful still for the phase 2 part of promoting TRIE regops to
Aho-Coarsick matchers. Understanding how the reganch stuff was added
would give me a lot of insight into how Illya and Larray and co
structured their optimization and boyer-moore matching code.

Thanks for bringing this up Michael, I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Yves