> >Please could we not forget or overlook or otherwise warnock the issue
> >of the /y flag on XCOPY and other aspects of the Win32 makefiles that
> >are included only to be able to build on operating systems that MS no
> >longer supports and has sent out End Of Life notices on?
> >
> >Does _anybody_ on this list build perl on pre win2k machines nowadays?
> >
> My own gut feeling is that building on Win9x/WinNT4 should still be
> supported.  If you drop support for building on old OS's then it's not
> long before you also start dropping support for building with old
> compilers, and even VC++ 6 is getting rather old now.  7 is out and 8 is
> nigh if not out already.  Before you know it, you won't be able to build
> Perl with VC++ 6.  That's already happened to Parrot (the last time I
> tried, at least) and it really p***ed me off.  I wouldn't want to see it
> happen to Perl too.

I am also getting mad when older compiler is dropped and newer is
supported with some restrictions.

But IMHO we already lost Win9x because of socket library, when moved to
socks version 2.

I am not expert in socket programming, but I saw discussion on this list
about this.

To add a little bit, many software nowadays refuse to install on
WinNT-4.0 (e.g. acrobat reader 7.0)