On 6/15/05, Rafael Garcia-Suarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> demerphq wrote:
> > If we are going to accept this bug then we need specifically document
> > it as it totally breaks reasonable expectation. And the inconsistancy
> > in it is IMO a big problem. Why should a space determine whether an
> > operator is binary or unary?
>
> Because the perl parser hasn't infinite lookahead. Look at toke.c, there
> are hundreds of heuristics like that hardcoded into perl, for the same
> reason : maximising DWIMmery. Not a bug.

Well IMO that answer only applies to "Why is perl doing this" it
doesnt answer the "why should that be". AFAICT There is no good reason
why that should be. Its an implementation quirk, and a bug until its
documented, which afaict it isn't. At very least it isnt documented in
such a way that its clear what is going on.

yves