On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:31:12PM -0000, LOGGOS TI wrote:
> I?m using Perl 5.8.4.810 and have long time display response when trying to
> get feedback (prints):
>
> For ex.:
>
> Foreach $Tmp (@Arr){
> # my code
> print "\."; # a kind of feedback processsing
>     Foreach $Tmp (@Arr){
>     # my code
>     }
> }
>
> Please is it a bug ? Any documentation may help me to treat this problem ?

This is not a bug.  You have run into filehandle buffering in which the
print is held in a buffer and not displayed on the screen until the buffer
is full or dumped.  In the case of printing to STDOUT it is dumped when it
sees a newline.  You can turn off buffering using the $| variable.  See
perlvar for details.

A gentle tutorial on buffering and how to deal with it in Perl can be found
here:
http://perl.plover.com/FAQs/Buffering.html

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the