On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Bill Smith wrote:

> (1) The Configure script from perl-5.8.7 does not
> finish running normally on Solaris 2.8.  It stops for
> _days_ at the point where it tests fcntl-based locks.

That's certainly not supposed to happen.  At worst, the fcntl() test is
supposed to timeout after 10 seconds and kill itself.  Obviously,
something's gone very wrong here.

Configure works fine for me in Solaris 2.8, though I don't have the
exact same set of patches applied as you do, and I've tried with Sun's
compiler and with gcc 3.4.3, not gcc-3.4.2, which you have.  Still, it
works for me.

> All files are in the attached gzipped tar file:
> typescript.Configure --Configure script transcript

I did note the following oddities, though I'm not sure if any of them are
actually relevant.

1.  You typed

    $ sh Configure -de -DCC=gcc

when you should have typed -Dcc=gcc (you need the lower case cc, not
the upper case.  The upper case doesn't do anything useful at all.)

2.  Configure warned:

    NOTE:  Some people have reported problems with /usr/ucb/cc.
    If you have difficulties, please make sure the directory
    containing your C compiler is before /usr/ucb in your PATH.

This may have been an irrelevant side-effect of your cc/CC typo above,
or it might not.  You should check your $PATH carefully to make sure
/usr/ucb comes after all the standard Solaris directories, including
/usr/bin and /usr/ccs/bin.  You definitely don't want to use the
/usr/ucb versions of any of the compiler tools.

I also had the following questions:

1.  Do you have anything set in your environment?

2.  Are you building in an NFS directory or in an otherwise different
sort of filesystem?  There's a note in Configure about this

 *** I had to forcibly timeout from fcntl(..., F_SETLK, ...).
 *** This is (almost) impossible.
 *** If your NFS lock daemons are not feeling well, something like
 *** this may happen, please investigate.  Cannot continue, aborting.

I've never run into this problem, but apparently someone has somewhere.

> Configure's source, line 12072, shows that sys/types
> is not used when creating try.c to test fcntl-based
> locks although it is required by Solaris.

That's ok because <fcntl.h> #includes <sys/types.h> anyway.
(And if that were the problem, the program simply wouldn't have compiled.)

My initial suspicion is something in your environment, perhaps related
to /usr/ucb, or perhaps related to the type of filesystem on which you
are running Configure.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]