> > Probing for existing libz (shared or not) would help those of us
> > the embed perl in other things which already link zlib.
>
> But IIUC zlib is embedded in a shared extension, not in perl itself.

files inside ./ext/Compress/Zlib/zlib-src-1.2.2 are zlib itself.
So if you're linking all things together with another application already
having zlib, you'll duplicate code.

And the question, as I understand it, is to make functions from that zlib
(inside perl) to be exportable to other apps.

>From my own experience, it is quite okay to link zlib so not only Perl, but
other applications have it available.

Vadim.