On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:46:37PM -0700, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> >>And why would perl be doing both styles of probes in the same directory
> >>at the same time anyway?
> >
> >Multiple processes running the same program doing the same thing.  Only
> >happens very, very rarely, like say in a CGI program. :P
>
> Well, now, "multiple processes running the same program doing the same
> thing" wouldn't qualify as "perl doing both styles of probes in the same
> directory at the same time"... because if it uses a read probe to
> determine case sensitivity, then it doesn't need to do a write probe to
> determine case sensitivity.  And while even those probes shouldn't use
> the same sorts of names, other probes for other information, would
> surely use even different names.
>
> Yes, CGI programs are prolific, and do the same thing repeatedly for the
> same and different users.  And what did you say about caching results?

It was really more your "oh, that could never happen" style response of two
processes doing different things in the same directory without being aware
of each other.

Anyhow, this is all moot as any write probes will happen in a unique,
temporary subdirectory.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best