On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:30 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

I'm not wedded to the name, but attached is a proof-of-concept of a routine which collapses updirs. This is a solution to the problem whether or not
canonpath() should collapse them.  Let the user decide.

Personally I think we should recommend (as it does now in the canonpath() docs) that the user use Cwd::realpath() when they want to collapse foo/.. in paths. If we provide a logical-only collapse() method, we know it's buggy (in the sense that it sometimes will point the user to a different file) before we even release it.

I'm all for providing some kind of pass-through to realpath() in File::Spec, though.

 -Ken