I'm not quite following the change from:

maint:

  =for apidoc Am|void|Newz|int id|void* ptr|int nitems|type
  The XSUB-writer's interface to the C C<malloc> function.  The allocated
  memory is zeroed with C<memzero>.

blead:

  =for apidoc Am|void|Newxz|void* ptr|int nitems|type
  The XSUB-writer's interface to the C C<malloc> function.  The allocated
  memory is zeroed with C<memzero>.  See also C<Newx>.

The blead part goes onto:

  In 5.9.3, Newx() and friends replace the older New() API, and drops
  the first parameter, I<x>, a debug aid which allowed callers to identify
  themselves.  This aid has been superceded by a new build option,
  PERL_MEM_LOG (see L<perlhack/PERL_MEM_LOG>).  The older API is still
  there for use in XS modules supporting older perls.

but the older API is not available. I can no longer compile code:

  Newz(702, mg, 1, MAGIC);

macro "Newz" requires 5 arguments, but only 4 given

so where is the backwards compatibility? why breaking the existing code?