Hello,

I'm trying to build perl (5.6.1) with a precompiled header. The problem I'm having is that a precompiled header assumes a static header context for all source files, whereas the perl source files 'customize' the headers by defining relevant macros prior to including them.

I was able to work around the PERL_IN_foo_C differences by defining PERL_DECL_PROT. I also added "#define PERLIO_NOT_STDIO 0" to avoid a macro redefinition in perlio.c. But linking failed because the interpreter globals were all undefined.

Precompiling the header results in MUCH faster compiling -- by at least a factor of ten with Metrowerks CodeWarrior. But supporting it requires that headers depend only on the headers they include, not on the files including them (except for the precompiled header itself).

Please let me know how I can help make this work.

Josh

--
Joshua Juran
Metamage Software Creations - Mac Software and Consulting

               * Creation at the highest state of the art *