On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:30:52PM -0400, John L. Allen wrote:
> I thinks this last piece is confusing:
>
>  The L<crypt|/crypt> function is unsuitable for hashing large quantities
>  of data, not least of all because you can't get the information
>  back.  Look at the L<Digest> module for more robust algorithms.
>
> Hashing is not done with the intent to get the data back, so that can't
> be the reason why crypt() is unsuitable.  Either state another reason
> - perhaps because it is too slow or doesn't easily allow hashing of an
> arbitrarily long string - or leave it unspecified.

Good point.  Originally that said "unsuitable for encrypting" so the
explaination made a bit more sense.

I'd assume crypt() is unsuitable for large amounts of text because the
hash size is too small and there's a significant risk of collision, espcially
if its DES.  Anyone care to confirm?

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
'All anyone gets in a mirror is themselves,' she said. 'But what you