On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:07:57AM +0200, Abigail wrote:
> > It would be helpful to have a term which means 'block from which one
> > can return', i.e. a sub or eval.  Suppose we use the word 'frame'.
> > Then I'd propose the statement above except with 'frame' instead of
> > 'subroutine or method'.
>
> This whole exercise started because people found the current documentation
> unclear. I don't think that introducing the concept "frame" is going to
> make the documentation any more clear. Perhaps less.

If there are several places in the documentation where we refer to this odd
sort of lexical/subroutine/eval... thing that's not really just a lexical
scope and not really just a subroutine scope it would be nice to give it a
name and a definition somewhere rather than having to repeat the awkward
scoping rules every time.

Or maybe the issue is its not entirely obvious that eval STRING establishes
a new lexical scope.  I know I didn't realize it until recently.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.