On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:54:48PM -0400, Ivan Tubert-Brohman wrote:
> However, another potential use of this index could be to create an
> actual printed index using latex, or an index file in POD, which then
> can be converted to HTML and other formats. In such an index, it would
> look much better with proper capitalization. So I guess you are right,
> and the real answer is for perldoc to handle that. It could try a
> case-sensitive search first, and if it returns no results, try a
> case-insensitive search.

More importantly, make your source data as exact as possible so the maximum
amount of information is available to the user.  Case is information.
Users of the data (ie. perldoc) can add their own fuziness as desired.

One of the more common failure modes for that sort of predictively adjusting
the data based on expected use is having data with HTML in it because its
only intended to go to a web page.  And then a year down the road living in
pain because someone asks you to generate XML.

> Strange, I ended up debating myself!

Just try not to do it on crowded street corners.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Insulting our readers is part of our business model.