On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:23:45AM +0100, Steve Hay wrote:

> I didn't think it was confusing, but that be a minority opinion.

Well, it's erudite, eloquent English written by someone with good vocabulary.
(Did tchrist write it?)

However it seems that

1: If you aren't native speaker, or don't notice these sort of differences,
   you won't see anything wrong
2: If you notice these differences but don't know the real nitty gritty
   subtleties, you think that there is something wrong.
   (I certainly did at first)
3: Only if you already know the subtly do you think it's fine.
   (but you might need to double take)

Hence my suggestion to avoid the problem by not using the verb "effect",
even when it's correct.

Nicholas Clark