Piotr Fusik (via RT) wrote:
# New Ticket Created by "Piotr Fusik" # Please include the string: [perl #36766] # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. # <URL: https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=36766 >

This is a bug report for perl from [EMAIL PROTECTED],
generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl v5.8.7.

It seems that perldoc creates temporary files in \WINDOWS\TEMP,
but doesn't delete them upon exit.

This is not a bug. I don't recall the specific reason, but temp files are kept for a period of time. I think it has something to do with the file locking semantics of the temp files created under Windows such that they can't be unlinked under certain conditions, but my memory is known to be quite faulty and occasionally makes up stuff.

Currently it looks like old files get removed every 5 days. From Pod::Perldoc :

$Temp_File_Lifetime ||= 60 * 60 * 24 * 5;
  # If it's older than five days, it's quite unlikely
  #  that anyone's still looking at it!!
  # (Currently used only by the MSWin cleanup routine)

See method MSWin_temp_cleanup() for the actuall cleanup routine. The only case where files might get left is if $ENV{TEMP} changes.

Randy.