Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:50:39PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:

The explicit call for the MCR shell is not needed in this case on OpenVMS. The VMS.C code will add it in if needed when it actually runs the child, and the VMS.C code knows to automatically vmsify() the command.

Is this a recent feature?  ie. Will this break on somewhat older Perls or
older VMSes?

It does not appear to be a recent feature, I would have figure out how to check when that feature was put in VMS.C.

Based on way the rest of the code is in that section of VMS.C, it looks like there is a good chance that it has been that way since the module was first written.

I also suspect that there are plenty of existing Perl scripts that are already depending on VMS.C knowing how to to the right thing when given either a VMS or UNIX filename for a command with out the MCR shell being specified.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only