Jim Cromie wrote:

I'll take this opportunity to note the existence of B::Generate & optimizer.pm,
with which you can do various function replacements / optimizations.

(btw, I have patches for them, so they properly compile & run,
on 5.6.2-nothread, 5.8.x-nothread, 5.9.3-thread)

FYI, Ive uploaded those patches to my CPAN folder.
Ive no idea (yet) whether theyll get indexed (and maybe they shouldnt just yet)

At this time, I would like to ask that fold_constants be added to the API,
or to some sort of meta-stable privileged API, so that *deep magic*
like that done by B::Generate, not be forever relegated to a
backwater / podunk / redhead-stepchild status.
Those 2 modules are too cool to let languish.

Hopefully they work for you, and they move the issue forward.
If not, send patches :-) or bug reports :-(

have the right amt of fun,
jimc