> Following on from Steve Peters' id est is i.e. peeve:
>
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg89902.html
>
> I was struck by one of my own: exempli gratia being abbreviated to eg or
> eg., rather than e.g.

I would like to suggest that Latin is obscure, and latin abbreviations
are doubly obscure.  There is no space constraint that should require
us to use "e.g." in place of "for example".  Using  "i.e." in place of
"that is" is even sillier.  (57% sillier, in fact.)

If you're going to do the work of locating these locutions, can I
suggest that you get rid of the unnecessary abbreviations entirely?