Do we want to come up with any modifications to the scope of $! (I'm not
talking about the dual string-number nature)?  I've occasionally been
flummoxed by looking at it when there hadn't really been an error (but it's
set anyway, randomly it seems); or calling some module method that failed
and then wondering whether $! tells me anything useful or not (did the
method make a failed system call?).

I realize this is very pedestrian compared to the exception-handling stuff
we've been tossing around, which could largely be said to render the issue
moot; but I thought I'd shake the branches anyway and see what fell out.

I'm sending this to -language because folk are probably expecting just
exception stuff on -errors; but I think it would be best for respondents to
redirect to -errors.
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies