PRL> Therefore, the definition of the return function must be changed
PRL> such that it is lazy.

PRL> Additionally, the definition of assignment must not normally
PRL> evaluate a lazy expression, but rather evaluate it to the point
PRL> where its value would become the value of a B<variable>, and then
PRL> assign to that variable.  If the expression cannot be evaluated
PRL> to that point, (for example, C<$x+3>), then it may be an error to
PRL> assign to it.

If I understand you correctly the actual target of the assignment
would be delayed.

Which leads me to ...

        {
          my $foo = lvalue_with_lazy_return;

          $foo = 42;
        }

I wouldn't want the 42 going, who knows where. I want the value of $foo
replaced with 42.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183