>>     How about \p and \P  ("P" for "pairwise groupings" or just "pairs")?
>
>\p and \P already have meanings in Perl 5 also.  \p{property} matches
>any single character with the specified Unicode property, and
>\P{property} is the inverse.

    Crap. Okay, that's it. Perl is just gonna have to go to two-
character escape codes.

    Well, if we stick to the model of a lowercase/uppercase pair
for this proposed feature, that leaves hH, iI, jJ, kK, mM, oO, vV,
none of which strike me as particularly intuitive. \o for "open" and
\k for "klose"? Oy.

    Suggestions?

 Eric J. Roode,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           print  scalar  reverse  sort
 Senior Software Engineer                'tona ', 'reh', 'ekca', 'lre',
 Myxa Corporation                        '.r', 'h ', 'uj', 'p ', 'ts';