>Well then.  It is impossible to rearchitect it to make it shared
>text?  Perhaps the first instance of perl sets up some vast shared
>memory segments and a way for the newcomers to link in to it and look
>at the modules that have been loaded, somewhere on this system, and use
>the common copy?

I'd be astonished to see a general-purpose, cross-platform, and
maintainable solution to this problem.  I predict that you'd at the
very best, only address this a few places.  Feel free to astonish me.

>This handwringing naysaying is depressing.

Very well, then: I'll save it for an after-the-fact I-TOLD-YOU-SO,
which, believe it or not, is truly *not* a pleasant thing to be
able to say.

--tom