Chaim Frenkel wrote:

> We should be able to represent
> any packed structure. We should be able to handle anything that an
> pack/unpack format can currently handle.
> The raw structures could be passed between perl and the XS unchanged.
>
> the COBOL redefines capabilities.
> ...a method of saying
> that there are two descriptive overlays of the same memory area
> would be nice.

I agree 100%.  Besides stealing at least some of COBOL's data
representation power, we should also support recursive data structures,
as in some functional languages.  E.g. (pseudocode):

        define foo as {
                short a;
                foo   b;  # exists at first only "in potential".
                long  c;
        };

--
John Porter

        We're building the house of the future together.