On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, David L. Nicol wrote:

> does sysV shm not support the equivalent security as the file system?

Well, no, I don't think it does.  It supports permissions on individual
segments but it doesn't support anything like directory perimssions.  It
might be enough, and it might not be.  A user can run two programs and not
expect one to have an automatic exploit on the other just because they're
both Perl!  Think "nobody".

Yes, you'd provide a paranoid mode for experts to use to avoid the
problems to which most users would be exposed.  Great.

> Did I not just describe how a .so or a DLL works currently?

Certainly not.  You wrote only a few sentences.  I'm no expert but I don't
think that shared libraries are that simple.  I also don't think they're
implemented using SysV IPC shared memory, but you might know differently.

> In the ever-immenent vaporware implementation, this whole thing may
> be represented as a big file into which we can seek() to locate stuff.

Zuh?  What are you talking about?  Is this some kind of Inline.pm-esque
system?

-sam