Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 12:58 PM 8/29/00 -0500, Fisher Mark wrote:
> >Although Perl interpretation is divided into several passes (parser/lexer,
> >optimizer, tree/bytecode runner), all these passes are grouped together in
> >one binary.  Under some memory-constrained conditions, it could be better if
> >each pass ran as its own program, passing the transformed data onto the next
> >pass similarly to the way compilers usually work.

> This is a good idea, and I've had fuzzy thoughts along this line (more or
> less) myself. There's a proto-RFC in the works.

For the world of the JVM port, it's imperative that hooks be provided so
that the front-end can be run independently, and a different back-end can be
run (to emit bytecode of some sort).

This is done in perl5 by STOP blocks, and the mechanism is rather hokey.  I
don't care much myself *how* it is done here, but something non-hokey would
be good.  ;)

--
Bradley M. Kuhn  -  http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn

PGP signature