Karl Glazebrook wrote:
> Can we not keep calling them matrices? They are just a special
> case.

Normally I call them tensors, but this is only meaningful to a mathematics
audience.

I was using 'matrix' because both laypersons and mathematicians would know
what the RFCs are referring to. This would not be the case with 'tensor',
although 'multidimensional array' would probably be OK. Although strictly
the word 'array' can refer to multidimensional structures, in Perl the term
has generally been used to refer to 1d structures (such as 'array of arrays'
in 'perldoc perllol').

What term would everyone like to use?