On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 09:21:32AM -0400, Eric Roode wrote:
> I'm not seeing an earth-shattering advantage of:
>
>         for my($k,$v) (%hash)
> over
>         while(my($k,$v) = each %hash)
>
> AFAICT, they act the same, just look a little different.
> Eight characters difference, counting whitespace.

What's the "earth-shattering advantage" of "=>" over ","?

Answer: there isn't one.  A common task was just made easier through
a simple addition to syntax.

Why not the same for loops?

> People keep proposing bells, whistles, antennae, and tentacles
> for the "for" statement, and I haven't seen one yet that had
> seemed justified to me.

What's "justified"?  It sounds like you're arguing "we already have a
way to do it, let's not make another" even if the other way makes it
*easier* to do the thing.  Remember, Perl's motto is TMTOWTDI and
that's not by accident.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff