>If you compare a variable that is undefined with something, perl winges.

Perl never whinges unless you turn on warnings.

>An undefined value is not equal to a string, it should do the right thing.

Comparing the undefined value against something else--that is, using
undef as though it were real--is *supposed* to warn you if you've
asked for warnings.  Considering that this is an important tool in
catching logic errors, I can't understand why you would possibly
want to kill this, and I'm unmotivated by what you've written.
Anyway, you can always use lexical warnings to disable this
selectively.

--tom