At 11:21 -0400 2000.09.18, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
>CN> I don't think you understand ... if you use $ENV{TZ}, at least it can be
>CN> changed for each user, for when you change time zones, DST, etc.  For
>CN> Config.pm, you have to edit a global value.  Ick.
>
>But the OS's idea of the epoch is global!

No, it isn't!  On Mac OS, I can change my epoch by changing my time zone.
If it is harcoded into Config.pm, I am fucked.

>>> Just a function/variable that would contain the offset from machine/os
>>> system epoch to unix (or universal) epoch.
>
>CN> But there is no universal epoch.  And what makes Unix special?
>
>The universal epoch for perl.

But by saying we should not change the current idea of epoch, you're saying
we shouldn't have a universal perl epoch, unless you have an idea for how
it would be implemented that you haven't shared (aside from the offset,
because that simply brings us back to "offset from what?").

>have multiple. All that is required that a perl program be able
>to determine portably what the difference between the syscall idea
>of time and some 'universal' perl epoch.

But there is none of the latter.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/