In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 04:57 PM 9/18/00 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
> >Doesn't this run a significant danger of leading us straight back
> >into the perl5 problem of making debugging of the source code more
> >or less impossible?
>
> Not necessarily. It does leave us with the problem of writing source in one
> language and debugging it in another, but at least we'll be able to look at
> the real C source and see what happens. What gets fed to the C compiler
> won't be heavily macro-ized--the PIL processor will take care of that for
> us.

That assumes the C source that is output is readable... I think the
output of the macros used in the current perl5 source is probably even
less usable than the source itself.

It does at least mean that a variable at the C level is likely to
be printable in the debugger without having to decide which wierd
combination of casts hidden in macros need to be applied to get at
the value.

What I'd like to see us avoid is the current situation where trying
to examine the value of an SV in the debugger is all but impossible
for anybody other than a minor god.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])