  Maintainer: Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Date: 25 Sep 2000
  Mailing List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Number: 308
  Version: 1

=head1 ABSTRACT

Remove C<?{ code }>, C<??{ code }> and friends.

=head1 DESCRIPTION

The regular expression engine may well be rewritten from scratch or
borrowed from somewhere else. One of the scarier things we've seen
recently is that Perl's engine casts back its Krakken tentacles into Perl
and executes Perl code. This is spooky, tangled, and incestuous.
(Although admittedly fun.)

It would be preferable to keep the regular expression engine as
self-contained as possible, if nothing else to enable it to be used
either outside Perl or inside standalone translated Perl programs
without a Perl runtime.

To do this, we'll have to remove the bits of the engine that call
Perl code. In short: C<?{ code }> and C<??{ code }> must die.

=head1 IMPLEMENTATION

It's more of an unimplementation really.

=head1 REFERENCES

None.