Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The issues I was thinking of have come up mainly from the Freeciv lists,
> and concern ordering of substituted output and suchlike things. Does it
> handle the case where in english you see:

>    error %s in file %s

> but in some other language the two substitutions are swapped?

ISO C could actually handle this.  You change the above to:

  file %2$s has error %1$s

(I think that's the right syntax).  Most libcs already handle this
properly; it's just a matter of the translators knowing that they can do
this and avoiding printf constructs that make this too hard to do.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>