> > > Huh? You're not talking about using this union around, say, the IV slot in
> > > a scalar, I hope...
> >
> >You hope in vain :-) If we still want to in perl6 to do (disgusting)
> >things like (we do in perl5)
> >
> >         - "intercast" pointers and integers
> >         - "intercast" integers and doubles
> >
> >something like the above is needed (or, at least, is beneficial in
> >getting it right).  How else can you guarantee that (a) the size
> >(b) the alignment are right?
> >
> >All this assuming, of course, that the (basic implementation of)
> >perl6 SVs is somewhat similar to the perl5 SVs.  If not, never mind
> >my rambling.
>
> Generally not, I think. The vtable stuff and special-purpose scalars take
> care of most of that nonsense, luckily.

Presumably.  But why are you then still talking about "the IV slot in
a scalar"...?  I'm slow today.  Show me how

        $a = 1.2; $b = 3; $c = $a + $b;

is going to work, what kind of opcodes do you see being used?
(for the purposes of this exercise, you may not assume the optimizer
 doing $c = (1.2+3) behind the curtains :-)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen