> At worst we have to write a "worst case" override entry for each op and
> then work what it needs back - this is exemplified by PerlIO_getpos()
> the "position" arg had to stop being an Fpos_t and become an SV *
> so that stdio could stuff an Fpos_t in it, but a transcoding layer
> could put the Fpos_t, and the escape-state and partial characters in as
> well.

There's plenty of that in the regex internal API and data structures,
too: it has been the written with the 'everything is a char pointer
and characters are bytes' mindset which now stings us in various
painful ways: passing char pointers and (explicit) byte lengths
instead of SVs and (implicit) character lengths, for example.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen